Monday, May 11, 2009

I am so amazed by the people here

I truly believe that we would love and live differently if people could see the human faces and the way they live in other parts of the world. If we truly believe that all men are created equal, it would be impossible for us to let others live the way that they do. I am so amazed by the people here. They are so happy with so little and I see people in the US more unhappy with the more they collect. Here the children are fed well in the orphanage, which is called Made in the Streets. All of the kids at the orphanage are street kids without parents. They all came from the streets of Eastleigh and some of them have been forced to fight, steel, or have sex for money. None of the kids have HIV but some have been on the streets since age three. They are so thankful to live here where they have uniforms and three meals a day and an education. Education is a privledge here because it is their ticket out of poverty. Although the kids are fed here they are still malnourished and all of them look drastically younger than you would guess becuase lack of nutrition has stunted their growth. I sat on the bus on the way here with a 20 year old who looked younger than Jason. None of the people here are tall and I am about the average height.Here, to eat meat once a week is living well. The meat that they usually eat is goat. Chicken is had maybe once a year. P.s. I saw a chicken get killed the other day on our safari.

Speaking of our day safari, it was amazing. We drove through the vast landscape over the bumpy roads until we reached "Wambu's mountain." The view looked like something out of the Lion King. There is something spectacular about the rock mountains overlooking thousands of wild animals. The tractor we took had a problem and we walked around while it got fixed. Wambu told us to be careful of the cobras and pythons and tigers. I tried to not look as nervous as I was, but we got back safely. That day was filled with countless opportunities to take pictures that could have easily made it onto the cover of national geographic. There was a women we drive by who was hearding goats in her traditional tribal clothing and a huge bushel of sticks on her back for a fire. Although the terrain was rough, she was barefoot. Some of the kids that run with me for miles, run without shoes. Its unbelievable. We stopped on the way back and had goat infested with flies, but it would be a disrespect to not eat it. I joked with the group on what rating the place would get in America and the consenus was that if there are more flies in the establishment than people, its not a good sign. The man who killed the chickens out front walked through the restaurant/hut like it wasn't a big deal to drip blood all over the place. When we left the hut all of the village children shreeked with excitement because they all waited patiently outside to see the Muzungos come out. They ran and followed the car as we left waving by and screaming with excitement. We seem to cause a commotion like that wherever we go.

After the safari we were stuffed but Wambu wanted us to come over for dinner which was goat stew. I have a whole new appreciation for your stews now, Dad. Of course we ate again but I noticed that the wife was never seen even when we asked for her to come out of the kitchen. All of Wambu's daughters served us the food and washed each of our hands. It is quite different here. Also, kids are raised by everyone here. The young ones that belong to the teachers here are taken care of by everyone. I now understand what it means to say "It takes a village to raise a child."

I will be spending the week building the oven and on Friday we are going to Mambassa on an overnight train to see the coast of Kenya. I will try and keep you updated on the adventures here. I wish you could experience this with me. Remember how "wealthy in water you are." Most people here have water only 1.5 days a week, and that is the water they have to buy from the well or steal. It is amazing that we have water all the time at the orphanage.

I love you all and I hope all is well back home. Thank you for all of your love and support...you guys are the best! Please know that I am safe and having the time of my life, living simply in Kamulu.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment