Thursday, May 14, 2009

Yesterday, we made over 200 bread rolls

Yesterday, we made over 200 bread rolls that we bagged up to pass out to the street bases where the kids at this orphange have come from. Unfortunately, there is not enough room at the orphanage for all of the kids in Eastleigh so many of the kids on the street with have a much different fate than the ones here. After we pass out the bread, which we are told is going to be utter chaos, we are going to Jackton's mothers place. Jackton is one of the leaders here and he wants us to cheer his mother up who just lost a son due to illness. Afterward, we are going to catch a night train with no electricity to Mambassa, which is the coast of Kenya. We will be given candles on the train since we will be on the train for 13 hours overnight. It will surely be an adventure!

This week has been spent cooking, teaching, and building the ovens. I have taught English and frisbee to the computer student when we didn't have electricity yesterday.I even conducted a seminar for the leaders at the orphange on how improve the communication within the organization. Finally, I am putting that degree to work. It was interesting that I was so intently listened to among a group of adults. I know if I conducted a training session in corporate America no one would listen to a 22 year old girl. However, my education is so vaulable here and it gives me a mouthpiece by which to speak. We also brought the kids profession chef coats and hats and they were overjoyed. I wish I could have captured Moses's face, the chef here, when he got a coat and hat.

Each day is its own adventure here when it comes to food. There are cockroaches everywhere and I have gotten used to eating things with cockroach appearing out of no where. The other night at dinner, a cockroach fell into one of the Pepperdine students eye. It was quite funny. There are rats in the food closet and they eat corn that is half decayed and eaten by the bats at night. Last night I found a moth in my food and this morning I took a shower with a lizzard. I must say that I haven't been as hungry over here because it is hard for me to eat the food knowing that the food I have consumed in my life has been so much cleaner. However, they don't know any different, so it makes no difference to them.

I have still been running everyday, but the group of shoeless African orphans that run the 4 miles with me has increased. Yesterday on our run I had to put out a fire that had been started by someone with the wrong intentions. Left unnoticed, the person's house would have surly been destroyed. After I put out the fire with dirt I got chased by two goats. The wildlife here belongs to people but they dont have money for fences so they just wander around. I cant even tell you how many goats, bulls, cows, and chickens I wait for each day as they cross the various dirt paths around the village. The other day I was running through a field and it had a dip in it so I was prevented from seeing anything in the dip. I almost ran into a full sized bull who looked unsurprised by me. I, on the other hand, had to jump start my heart again.

I have just been informed that Jackten has come for us, so I must go. I will tell you about Wambu (who has one wooden leg, so I call him wooden leg Wambu) in my next letter. I love you and I will tell you more stories later.

Nacupende (I love you),

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment